“Becoming a Certified Interpreter filled me with confidence, self-esteem and energy.”
IST provides the longest-standing interpreter training program in Toronto. Our intensive training process equips immigrant and refugee women with the skill, certification, confidence and independence to become professional Language Interpreters and vital members of the community. Thanks to the Schlifer Clinic’s 25 years of experience in supporting and defending women under threat of violence, our interpreters come braced with an acute appreciation of cultural sensitivities. We offer the most extensive interpreter training outside of the college system. As a consequence, our services are well-known and respected.
“I am really happy and passionate about my work. It has been an excellent program.”
Become a spoken language interpreter today!
- fluency and proficiency in English and another language
- successful completion of the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration’s (MCI) approved Interpreter Language and Skills Assessment Tool (ILSAT)
- successful completion of a recognized interpreter training program
- a minimum of a high school diploma, some college and university preferred
- familiarity with social services, including legal and health sectors
- understanding of issues related to violence against women
1. CORE COMPETENCIES: 12 Days (84 hours + Testing Day)
Certificate awarded after completing following requirements:
- Certificate awarded after completing following requirements:
- passing the Post Assessment Test (written & audio, 70%)
- successful completion of 3-6 assignments
- human trafficking and sexual violence modules.
2. LIFE/BUSINESS SKILLS: 5 DAYS (35 hours)
Certificate awarded with 80% attendance.
3. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE COURT PROCESS (off-site): 3 DAYS (21 hours)
- Includes visits to the following locations to get oriented to their services:
- Domestic Violence Courts (to observe proceedings);
- Women’s College Hospital Sexual Assault Care Centre;
- PAR Program;
- Parole and Probation Office.
4. ANTI-OPPRESSION/WOMAN ABUSE: 2 DAYS (14hours)
To increase understanding of roles as Community Interpreters in VAW and PAR settings, as well as to provide a context to provision of services to immigrant women and other groups.
To learn more or participate in training, please call Marybeth at 416-323-9149, ext. 251.