We are seeking an exceptional full-time Executive Assistant to provide administrative support to the Executive Office. This position commences as soon as possible.
The Barbra Schlifer Clinic (the “Clinic”) offers legal representation, professional counselling and multilingual interpretation to women who have experienced violence. Our diverse, skilled and compassionate staff accompany women through personal and practical transformation, helping them to build lives free from violence.
We are a centre by, for and about women. We amplify women’s voices and cultivate their skills and resilience. Together with our donors and volunteers, we are active in changing the conditions that threaten women’s safety, dignity and equality.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates a variety of activities related to events and meetings such as booking venues, arranging catering and coordinating attendance
- Compiles data and prepares funding submissions and reports
- Maintains director schedules and the managers’ calendars
- Coordinates registration activities for professional development programs
- Liaises with clients to communicate information and coordinate appointments
- Screens and prioritizes a variety of communications on behalf of the Executive Director
- Coordinates activities related to recruitment including accepting applications and arranging interviews
- Coordinates Annual General Meeting
- Coordinates variety of meetings on behalf of ED and senior management team
- Coordinates staff meeting schedule for the Clinic including common practices, retreats, subcommittee
- Coordinates HR administration and support for Clinic managers, up to and including disciplinary actions, including
- Drafts employment contracts for new hires in consultation with ED
- Prepares orientation and contract packages
- Develops and oversees the orientation for new hires
- Coordinates HR manual updates and review process for Board approval
- Maintains up to date legal information on employment conditions
- Liaises with Clinic corporate counsel on behalf of the Executive Director
- Coordinates training plans for Clinic-wide, both individual plans in consultation with managers and Clinic-wide common practice meetings
- Participates in annual reviews related to allocation of Clinic resources
- Coordinates audit
- Works directly with bookkeeper and accountants to prepare accurate financial information for Board & management.
- Accounts Payable/Receivable
- Maintains expense files which include reconciling receipts to statements
- Completes cheque requisitions and writes and prepares cheques
- Writes and prepares cheques for distribution
- Prepares Fee for Service Invoices (for presentations, workshops, consultations, etc.)
- Tracks funder payments
- Prepares bank books for deposits
- Makes bi-weekly deposits at the bank
- Negotiates Commercial & General Liability and Directors & Officers Errors Insurance terms in consultation with Executive Director.
- Sets up and maintains a variety of electronic and hard copy
- Orders supplies, equipment and
- Takes, transcribes and distributes minutes of meetings
- Photocopies and binds a variety of documents
- Processes outgoing mail
- Opens, organizes, digitizes and closes files
- Processes payroll information
- Sets up, formats, and drafts a variety of documents such as funding submissions, reports, affidavits and letters
- Creates electronic forms for departmental uses (including cheque requisitions, risk assessments, request for letter forms, etc.)
- Prepares materials/packages for meetings.
- Processes Clinic memberships (applications, cards, letters, etc.)
- Supervision for all Investing in Neighbourhoods administrative staff, in support of managers and in consultation with the Executive Director
- Supervises students in admin, evaluation, MBA, and related fields
- Responds to computer user enquiries and resolves hardware issues and offers software solutions
- Troubleshoots office equipment malfunctions and arranges for service
- Maintains the agency phone system, setting up users and troubleshooting problems
- Maintains Server back-up tapes and sets up new computer users for e-mail and on the network
- Installs software updates as required.
- Sets up new computer users with e-mail and network
- Sets up new technology for staff use including work cellphones, laptops, tablets, and computers
- Liaise with external IT consultant and coordinates troubleshooting and overall IT maintenance
- Liaise/coordinate with external IT providers for troubleshooting and new services
- Recommend and plan for IT growth and adaptation
- Backup to communications manager, in consultation with the Executive Director.
Agency and Team Support
- Works collaboratively with and supports the diversity of women within the context of a diverse agency
- Complies with Clinic and funder policies and procedures
- Performs other tasks as assigned by management
- Commitment to working collaboratively with and supporting women of diversity within the context of a diverse agency
- Engagement in a self-reflective, ethical & collaborative practice that is non-judgmental and empathic and reflects the vision and mission statements of the Clinic
- Incorporation of principles of diversity and equity in responding to the service needs of women
- Commitment to working toward removing systemic barriers to women’s independence and wellbeing
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time-management and problem-solving skills; written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work and support others in the context of a diverse environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Be a self-starter, creative and highly motivated
- Share ideas and differences in the spirit of collaboration and cooperation
- Commitment to ongoing personal and professional development
- In-depth knowledge of the social services sector
- Advanced secretarial skills and office administration skills acquired through the completion of an undergraduate university degree in a relevant field or experience
- Executive administrative experience or demonstrated skills
- Proven ability to write executive level correspondence, reports, briefing notes and other written material
- Expert level knowledge of current computer applications such as Microsoft Office, Desktop Publishing, Database software, E-mail, and Internet in a windows environment
- Demonstrated financial and data management skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism
- Ability to work under pressure, respond to changing priorities and function as a highly efficient assistant
- Must possess a positive and friendly manner
- Exceptionally strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communications skills
- Must demonstrate strong initiative and must be goal-oriented
- Previous work in a multicultural environment
- Knowledge of women’s services and the voluntary sector would be an asset
This position’s salary range is $47,909 to $55,085 per annum. All positions include a comprehensive benefits package offered through a group plan as part of our United Way membership.
The Barbra Schlifer Clinic promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women of all races, colours, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR RESUMES: Monday, February 26, 2017, at 5 pm. Resumes will be considered as they are received.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume:
By email in ONE attachment, as a PDF or Word Doc to: email@example.com
Subject Title: EA Hiring Committee
By fax to: (416) 323-9107 Attn: EA Hiring Committee c/o Nora Angeles
Or by mail to: Attn: EA Hiring Committee
c/o Nora Angeles, Barbra Schlifer Clinic, 489 College St. Suite 503, Toronto, ON M6G 1A5
In your cover letter, please indicate where you found our job posting. No phone calls, please.